The much loved and popular Tivoli Theatre in Francis Street is set to be demolished after An Bord Pleanala decided to over-rule a Dublin City Council decision. One of sixteen conditions is that graffiti on the walls of the building is photographed before its demolition.
The Tivoli Theatre in Dublin, Ireland, started life as the Conciliation Hall in 1834. Located on Burgh Quay, Dublin 2; It was built as a meeting place for Daniel O’Connell’s Repeal Association. In 1897, it was rebuilt as a concert hall called the Grand Lyric Hall and changed name to the Lyric Theatre of Varieties the following year. It became known as the Tivoli in 1901. It was a modest sized music hall with seating for 1252 patrons.
The Tivoli closed in 1928 but for a short time continued to show cine-variety on Sunday nights. Finally closed in 1930 and the building became the home of the Irish Press newspaper group.
The Tivoli Theatre situated on Francis Street was a replacement for an earlier Tivoli Theatre located on Burgh Quay, which had closed in May 1928.
Built to the designs of architect Vincent Kelly with seating provided for 700. The Tivoli Theatre opened as a cine-variety theatre on 21 December 1934. In the late-1930s it converted to full-time cinema use and was renamed Tivoli Cinema.
The Tivoli Cinema was closed in September 1964. It was converted into a nightclub, and a shop, before finally re-opening as a live theatre in 1987 and renamed Tivoli Theatre. The venue houses two flexible performance spaces: the Tivoli Theatre located upstairs and the Tivoli Live situated on the ground floor.
Upstairs is an exclusive cinema styled theatre with a flexible stage area and an extensive lighting grid with a vast array of options for hanging. A unique and historic theatre, having played host to a long line of highly revered and much loved actors, playwrights, musicians and comedians from all over the globe. It can accommodate 475 patrons, a highly desired space not only for the arts but for commercial use also.