The Suffolk Street area was the site of the Viking assembly mound or Thingmote, which survived, until removed in 1685 to be used as infill on Nassau Street to prevent flooding. Named after Sir Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, it was the site of the family home of the Earls of Kildare until James Fitzgerald built Leinster House.
AS YOU CAN SEE MOLLOY MALONE IS VERY POPULAR
[CURRENTLY LOCATED ON SUFFOLK STREET - WHERE IT SHOULD REMAIN]
Molly is commemorated in a statue designed by Jeanne Rynhart, erected to celebrate the city's first millennium in 1988. Originally placed at the bottom of Grafton Street in Dublin, this statue is known colloquially as "The Tart with the Cart" or "The Trollop With The Scallop(s)". The statue portrays Molly as a busty young woman in 17th-century dress. Her low-cut dress and large breasts were justified on the grounds that as "women breastfed publicly in Molly's time, breasts were popped out all over the place."
The statue was later removed and kept in storage to make way for the new Luas tracks. On 18 July 2014, it was temporarily placed outside the Dublin Tourist Office on Suffolk Street. It was expected to be returned to its original location in late 2017, but on 29 January 2018 it was still seen in Suffolk Street.